You can make a difference
Is there something I can do? How do I get started? These are some questions that we often hear. Here is some advice how to get started. And remember, small things can make a huge difference in someone´s life.
Talk openly about your own mental health and dare to ask someone about theirs. It is a way to start a conversation. It also inspires others to do the same. All of a sudden there will be thousands of conversations going which is a way to end stigma and discrimination towards people with mental health conditions.
Your contribution helps us to create an inclusive society that is based on acceptance - mental health problems are no longer hidden in shame and taboos.
Be a good friend
Here is a list of ten ways you can be a good friend to someone with a mental health condition.
1. Ask how your friend is doing! Show that you care.
2. Listen. To listen to your friend´s problems without giving advice matters a lot. Avoid sharing your own problems. Asking open questions is a good way of making your friend find the answers herself/himself.
3. Give appreciations. Stress what you like about your friend.
4. Stay in touch. Show that you are there to talk to, when your friend feels ready to talk.
5. Have patience. Avoid telling your friend to get her/his act together as your intention can be misunderstood.
6. I would love to help you. Saying this over and over again makes a difference when you don´t feel well.
7. Be positive. Put out that most people with a mental health condition find ways to lead a good life.
8. Do fun things together. Also encourage your friend to do fun things. This gives your friend a chance to rest from her/his "problems".
9. Encourage to seek professional help.
10. Take good care of yourself. It is easy to put all focus on the person that is not feeling well. To be able to be a good friend you must not forget yourself.
Support our campaign
Supporting our campaign is something else that makes a difference.
Order our pins and t-shirts. Wearing these is a great way to start a conversation. It also shows people around you that you take a stand for an important issue that will bring abour societal change.
Make a pledge and become a supporter of Hjärnkoll. The supporter activity you find on the start page of our webbsite. Write how you will support the campaign.